Get your .Asia domain up and running quickly with domain forwarding, domain mapping, or setup your own URL shortener!
Do you have a fantastic idea, product or service offering? Did you take your first moment to snatch up an awesome domain name to match but don’t have the time or resources to setup a custom website? Don’t worry, THE SHOW CAN GO ON – thanks to the simplicity of tools offered by domain name and web hosting platforms nowadays.
In this first article of a 3-Part series, I will talk about about how you can make your domain name work for you WITHOUT a custom website!
DBS Bank is a regional bank that describes itself as “a bank that specialises in Asia”. Incorporated in Singapore in 1968, DBS Bank is now the largest bank in South East Asia by assets.
In 2013, the DBS Bank consumer team in Hong Kong had an idea to use Facebook to create a collaboration between investors to drive up the interest rate. It was aimed at encouraging wealthy clients to make large deposits with DBS. The more people that enrolled, the higher the rate of interest they got on the deposit. The program (uGOiGO) was a huge success and attracted affluent individuals to spread the program amongst their friends and associates using social media.
To further enhance their social media strategy, DBS leveraged the power of Domain Names. Particularly, they registered www.DBS.Asia and forwarded the domain name to a corresponding page on Facebook. By doing this, DBS is able to advertise and promote their social media campaign directly to customers under one memorable, geo-relevant web address – www.DBS.asia.
Advertised URL Without Domain Forwarding: www.facebook.asia/dbs.hk?brand_redir=1
Advertised URL With Domain Forwarding: www.DBS.asia
Which URL looks more attractive and easier to remember? The answer is clear.
Get your .Asia domain redirecting to your Facebook page in just a few easy steps:
Log into your Domain Registrar account’s control panel.
Almost all Domain Control Panels will have a free service to forward a domain to a designated URL. The service should be displayed prominently enough after logging in. Domain forwarding might also be labelled differently depending on the registrar: Domain Forwarding, Domain Redirect, Web Forwarding or similar. When you find it just click it to open the forwarding options.
- The forwarding options usually have a blank field to enter the destination URL you’d like to forward your domain to. You might have 2 methods of forwarding:
- Domain Redirect: Facebook URL will be displayed in the browser after your audience is redirected to your Facebook page.
- Domain Masking: Your .Asia domain name will stay in the browser’s URL bar after your audience is redirected to your Facebook page.
- Enter your destination URL such as http://www.facebook.asia/dotasia/ and submit/save the change.
And that’s it!
Remember that changes can take from 24 to 72 hours to become fully updated across the Internet (otherwise, known as propagation).
- Facebook now allows you to change your vanity URL once after choosing your initial name. Remember to update your .Asia domain redirection if you do make a change.
- You can follow these same steps to redirect your .Asia domain to other social networking services such as Twitter, Weibo, Instagram, Flickr, YouTube Channel, or even another standalone website. Just replace the Facebook web address with the web address of your final web destination!